Moving is an exciting time. Sometimes it reflects the growing needs of you and your family or sometimes you just need a fresh start. You may be moving within London, Ontario or you may be relocating to London, ON. You may even be leaving the area. Either way, you’re moving! While it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement (who doesn’t love checking out properties on Realtor.ca before the real shopping begins with your real estate agent?) there are a number of items to check of the list.
Your moving checklist is going to differ based on if you are staying within the same province, relocating to another province or moving your life overseas, but here are a few general tips to keep in mind throughout the move in order to help ease the transition:
Change Your Address
Changing your address sounds simple, but there are a lot of address updates you’ll need to take care of:
- You can change your address online with Canada Post and automatically set up mail-forwarding.
- Contact the ministry of heallth and Canada Revenue Agency to update your address.
- In addition, if you are moving out of province, you’ll want to contact the ministry responsible for transportation to update your address if you have a licenced vehicle.
In addition to updating your address with your utilities providers (Royal LePage Triland Realty has a great list of Utilities and Contact Information for services in London, Ontario) you’ll also want to:
- Have your gas, electricity, cable tv, internet disconnected and set up at your new home
- Have your electric, water and gas meters read on the day you vacate the property and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Transfer the rental agreement of your water heater (if it is rented) to the buyer.
- If you have an oil tank, have it read and filled prior to the close of the sale and send a receipt to your lawyer.
Hire a Moving Company
If you aren’t up to packing, loading and moving your home’s contents with the help of some strong friends and a Uhaul, it’s a good idea to get estimates from a few different companies.
Here are some of the top picks for London, Ontario movers:
- University Brand Movers, are a local company.
- Campbell Bros Movers Ltd., handle local, regional and international moving and storage
- Two Small Men With Big Hearts, serve moving needs all across Canada.
I’ve been working as a realtor in London, Ontario for well over a decade and have experience helping homeowners make the transition between moves. Get in touch with me to learn more about relocating to London, ON and how I can help the transition process.